Tuesday, November 23, 2010

have a potentially life changing Thanksgiving

It's safe to say not everyone looks forward to the holidays!

We're hitting the road for the central coast to spend Thanksgiving with my sisters' families. It's been seven years since we've had Thanksgiving together. Certainly there will be some drama and weirdness but this year I'm trying something new -- I'm going to make an effort to get to know someone better by really listening to her/him.

Rather than getting stressed out about about cooking and family visits, the upcoming holiday is the perfect opportunity to practice the art of listening. Listening is a key component of nurturing strong relationships. And building long-lasting relationships is the foundation of happiness. If you don’t listen to those in your life, relationships become weak and you’ll become unhappy.
So, in addition to local wines and a Just Desserts pumpkin spice bundt cake, I'm bringing an intention to make some time to really listen to someone in my family.

Wishing you a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Note: post title swiped, copied, stolen from coffee yogurt.

3 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

They say imitation is the best form of flattery - so a big thank you from me! And the listening piece? You're so right. Too many mouths, too few ears. Good luck with your goal and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Kathleen said...

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and good luck with the listening.

Levi said...

This is a great idea. My sister is totally consumed with the idea of making food and I'm so over the whole nonsense.
I'm going to listen and keep my mouth shut. Hopefully.