Sunday, March 27, 2011

just a week away


 
A week from now I'll be visiting Washington DC with my sister. I've always wanted to see the cherry blossoms so I'm pretty dang excited. I've never thought too much about a bucket list, but after these past two years of seeing my mother-in-law at the end of her life and how quickly things changed for her in terms of her independence, dignity, and overall quality of life, it might not be a bad idea to put something together.

 
I've been to the DC area many times on job-related trips. Once, my husband and daughter joined me for a few days after my work tasks were completed. Lots to do and see in DC. I love the National Gallery of Art and talk about good timing, there is a special Gauguin exhibit we'll get to explore. So, while I'm fairly familiar with the area and have seen a lot of the attractions, the biggest unknown is how it'll work out travelling with my sis. This is a new one for us.

 
There are three things I haven't done before that I'd like to this visit:
  • Take a tour of the White House
  • Go to Politics & Prose bookstore
  • Go to the Newseum

 Do you have any restaurant, coffeehouse or things to do and see recommendations for us?

4 comments:

stacybuckeye said...

Love DC and the cheery blossoms are a wonderful time to visit. CAn't imagine the weather being nice enough for them but that's probably because I'm in Cleveland! If you're in a bookish mood you could see if anything was going on at the Folger Shakespeare Library. We saw As You Like It years and years ago.
Have fun :)

Lee said...

That's a terrific suggestion - thanks!!!

dkuroiwa said...

i know next to nothing about DC....i was there a very long time ago with someone i actually hated, so....yeah. not even sure what i liked.

here's something for your bucket list, though.....come to Japan and see the cherry blossoms....they are absolutely wonderful...the first ones have started blooming...it's spring. ;-D

Kathleen said...

How exciting. Have a wonderful trip. D.C is a great place to visit and the cherry blossoms are beautiful this time of year.