Thursday, March 3, 2011

More Prize Worthy Books

The American Booksellers Association (ABA) has announced finalists for its Book of the Year awards. I've bolded the titles I've read. Not too many, unfortunately.

BOOK OF THE YEAR – ADULT FICTION

Great House, by Nicole Krauss
How to Read the Air, by Dinaw Mengestu
Room, by Emma Donoghue
The Surrendered, by Chang-rae Lee
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, by David Mitchell
A Visit From the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan

BOOK OF THE YEAR – ADULT NONFICTION

At Home, by Bill Bryson
Cleopatra: A Life, by Stacy Schiff
Let’s Take the Long Way Home, by Gail Caldwell
The Tiger, by John Vaillant
Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand
The Wave, by Susan Casey

BOOK OF THE YEAR – ADULT DEBUT

Beneath the Lion’s Gaze, by Maaza Mengiste
The Emperor of All Maladies, by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, by Helen Simonson
Matterhorn, by Karl Marlantes
The Quickening, by Michelle Hoover
The Wake of Forgiveness, by Bruce Machart

3 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

I played tennis with someone today who is reading Unbroken. She was telling of the brutality. I've heard really good reviews but it's just not something I want to read about.

And that pretty much concludes what I know about any of these books. Sad, huh?

Trish said...

I haven't read many of these either. I enjoyed Bill Bryson's At Home though. Of course I love everything Bill Bryson writes, so I might be biased.

Lee said...

yogurt - I came close to buying Unbroken for my hubs for Christmas. I'm starting to realize that he doesn't like nonfiction as much as I do.

Trish - I'm going to put Bryson's book on my to-read list. I loved A Walk in the Woods.