Monday, April 18, 2011

On Movies - running on empty

Ever watch a film that left you feeling worn out at the end? Exhausted from identifying with the physical and emotional stresses endured by the characters in the film? That's this week's theme at The Bumbles Blog. In addition to gathering those films about running on empty, I'm focusing on women who out of desperation (poverty, threats of harm etc.) wind up in situations that make them go "on the run."

Thelma and Louise (1991) - Start out running away from their oppressive lives and end up running from the law.

Maria Full of Grace (2004) - A pregnant 17 yr old becomes a Colombian drug runner.



Run Lola Run (1998) - A woman has 20 minutes to run around (literally) and find big bucks to save her boyfriend's life.


Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974) - A new widow, along with her son, make a run for a fresh start in life. One of my all time favorite films.


Frozen River (2008) - A woman's dire economic circumstances compel her to run illegal immigrants across the Canadian border. Her smuggling takes her on a perilous route that includes a frozen river. Excellent film. Melissa Leo deserved the Oscar for her performance.

8 comments:

Saimi said...

Whoa, looks like I have some movie watching to do! Thanks for the reviews!!

Kwizgiver said...

Such eclectic choices. I like your take on the theme.

Robyn Ryle said...

Interesting collection.

Nicole said...

Maria Full of Grace is about the only movie on this list that I knew about. That Frozen River one seems like it might be interesting to watch. Since you called it "excellent," I'm going to have to check it out and find out what all the fuss is about :)

The Madlab Post

The Bumbles said...

Very cool interpretation of the theme! Thelma & Louise certainly heads the top of that list for me. I am looking forward to seeing Frozen River myself.

Lindsey said...

Great choices! Frozen River is an excellent, over-looked choice :)

Kathleen said...

I really want to see Frozen River!

Anonymous said...

The only one I've seen in Themla & Louise.