Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday Movie - the sweet hereafter

This week at the Bumbles blog films that address what happens after death get the nod. I give this theme a hearty two thumbs up!

Here are my top five:
  • The Sweet Hereafter - Love the film and loved the book by Russell Banks even more. A look at the lives of people in a small rural community after a devasting school bus crash.
  • Beetlejuice - One of the few films I've enjoyed watching several times. It inspired the song This House is Not For Sale by Ryan Adams. Gawd, I like this song.
  • Ghost Town - Ricky Gervais is so dang funny. The scenes with his character interacting with ghosts are hilarious.
  • The Lovely Bones - Although the subject matter is extremely sad, the vision it provides of the afterlife is comforting. Incredible special effects.
  • What Dreams May Come - OK, I dumped on Robin Williams last week but here he is in the lead role. It seems I have a complicated love - hate relationship with Williams. At the time I saw this, I didn't like the romantic, lost love aspect of the film. But since then, I've often thought about some of the scenes of how afterlife is depicted. The sea of faces...the Matterhorn. Visually amazing.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I've never heard of The Sweet Hereafter. I'll have to add that to my Netflix.

Carol E Wyer said...

Love 'Beetlejuice' It's crazy as is Ricky gervais....well he is a Brit and we are renowned for our sense of humour.:) I'm going to check out these other films because I haven't seen them and I have to find something to watch after Hubby downs his cocoa at 9pm and buzzes off to bed!

Anonymous said...

I almost included Ghost Town to my list. Gervais is very funny.