Thursday, February 24, 2011

Film Indie Spirit Awards 2011

On the eve of the Oscars, there's another awards show honoring films with "Independent Spirit." In some ways, I enjoy this more than the Oscars and the Golden Globes. The Indie Spirit Awards will air at 10 pm Saturday on the Independent Film Channel (IFC).

Here are the nominees for the best film and director of 2011:

Best Feature
127 Hours
Black Swan
Greenberg
The Kids Are All Right
Winter’s bone

Best Director
Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
Danny Boyle,127 Hours
Lisa Cholodenko, The Kids Are All Right
Debra Granik, Winter’s Bone
John Cameron Mitchell, Rabbit Hole

Do you make it a point to see independent films?
How would you vote in these two categories?

4 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

I do like to see Indy films, the ones that get the good reviews. Surprisingly, I have seen three of the top films - Greenberg, Kids and Winter's Bone. I don't want to see the other two. I'm too much of a wuss to see 127 Hours. As for my vote, it's tough. I liked all three for different reasons. I think the winner, though, needs to be Winter's Bone. Open up middle- and upperclass eyes to the realities of the rural poor. But I really did like seeing a normal gay marriage, too.

shrink on the couch said...

p.s. I really like your new header. The whole feel. It draws you in. Especially the chair.

Lee said...

The only film from the Best Feature category I didn't see is 127 Hours. It seems like it would be too gory. Plus, I'm not a big Danny Boyle fan.

I agree with your vote for Winter's Bone. It is everything an exceptional indie film should be. Outstanding performances, telling a story that is new or adds to our cultural understanding, great photography & music, and a launching pad for new actors & directors into the film scene.

For Best Director, I'd vote for Lisa Cholodenko (The Kids Are All Right). When you see so many knock out performances it is usually due in large part to the skill and vision of the director.

I'm glad not to have to vote for Best Actress -- they are all incredible. :)

Jenners said...

I used to see ALL these types of films but this year I've only seen Black Swan (boy was THAT freaky and different than I expected -- I had to keep hiding my eyes). I wish I'd seen The Kids Are Alright and 127 Hours (but I'm squeamish about that). Darn ... now I want to go to the movies!