Thursday, February 24, 2011

Quotable - disordered eating

"I didn't decide to become anorexic. It snuck up on me disguised as a healthy diet, a professional attitude....

I finally understood that by being on a perpetual diet, I had practiced a "disordered" form of eating my whole life. I restricted when I was hungry and in need of nutrition and binged when I was so grotesquely full I couldn't be comfortable in any position but laying down. Diets that tell people what to eat or when to eat are the practices in between....Obsessing about what and when to eat is not normal, natural, and orderly. Thinking about food to the point of obsession and ignoring your body's signals is a disorder."

~ Portia de Rossi from her memoir Unbearable Lightness

1 comment:

shrink on the couch said...

Probably 2/3 of my friends fit in this category, me too, to some extent. All that depriving and the guilt-inducing binges, usually involving pizza.